Friday, March 5, 2010

July 11, 1943






Enterprise, Florida
July 11, 1943

Dear "Gang,"
I'm like Ethel, I don't have to hunt things to occupy my time. I work about eight hours in the office here at home. I enjoy it when it isn't too hot. I get sleepy when it's hot, and I'm not good for much.

I wonder if anyone else keeps these letters longer than two days like I do. It isn't my fault this time because it came Saturday while I was away. The Chorus from the Home went on a week-end trip down in the southern part of the state and I went as far as Winter Haven with them and from there to Lakeland to visit my sister. I had a grand time with my sister, and then with the Chorus in Dade City that Sunday night. We got home today just before lunch so I just received the letters today.

It seemed natural to be back in Lakeland. I've been back three times since school has been out. I went for the day almost two weeks ago to see if I have gotten the room the I wanted. I have room 321 which was Dorene's room last year. I wanted to be sure that I would have a room some where near the rest of the gang. They were having mid-term examinations the day I was there and poor old Mable was all in a flutter about them because she didn't know anything! (Excuse me Mable!) She probably knew was much or more than anyone else in the room as usual. I bet it isn't any fun taking exams in hot weather though.

We have started building on our playground equipment this week. We are going to build a basketball court, tennis court, and a skating rink, I think. We girls asked Mr. Barnes if we could help, and this afternoon he put the girls to digging the foundation for the basket ball court. I didn't get to help them this afternoon because of my work in the office, but I'm going to get in on it in the evenings after dinner. They said that they really worked and after they quit work for today they had a good sand fight. They seemed to think it was fun, but I bet it wasn't any fun washing the sand out of their hair!

I do believe that I'm going to have to continue this letter until tomorrow because I'm getting sleepy.

Here it is Wednesday, and I haven't finished this letter yet.

We have some very nice young people on a Comradeship Team here conducting a Bible school for the Juniors and Intermediates. Our pastor's wife is their counselor. I believe the Bible school will be a great success because they seem to be very capable and very interested in their work.

Mr. and Mrs. Barnett have left Margaret Hornby here for about six weeks this summer. They thought it would be good for her to have some other children her age to play with,and that the training that she would get would be good for her, too. I believe that she is happy here and is having a good time. I ask her every time I see her if she is still having a good time, and she always says yes.

Good-by for this time and much love to all.
Doris

No comments:

Post a Comment